The other day, out of nowhere, my boyfriend sent me a text message saying he wanted to get some beets because he heard they were good for you. He said he hadn’t been feeling the greatest lately and wanted something to kind of give his body a natural detox. He didn’t have to tell me twice. You see, it’s a very rare thing to have my boyfriend eat something healthy that I make for him, but to have him actually REQUEST a healthy thing. Whoa now! I decided to make him a smoothie packed with all kinds of delicious detoxifying foods, including beets. I knew it had to taste good though or else he wouldn’t drink it. Needless to say, the end result was pretty good and he drank it with very few complaints! Success!
- 1 raw beet, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- sunflower seeds
- handful of chopped kale
- 1 cup of Simply Apple Juice (or other 100% fruit juice)
- juice from 1 lemon
Throw everything into a blender. If your blender will not grind things down very finely you may want to consider cooking your beet a little beforehand. I have a decent blender, but I would have preferred the texture to be a little more smooth. It did not grind the raw beet up as well as I’d hoped. I prefer not to cook my beets only because you lose some of the nutrients, but if you can’t handle the texture it may be the best option. This would work great in a juicer also!
Some of the Benefits of these Ingredients:
- Unique phytonutrients in beets called betalains provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support in the body.
- Betalin pigment found in beets support detoxification by helping to neutralize toxins and make them water soluble so that they can be excreted out.
- Helps purify blood and liver
- May lower blood pressure
- Gives you energy and is a natural aphrodisiac
- excellent source of Vitamin E, a fat soluble antioxidant
- Good source of selenium, which is necessary to activate certain enzymes that function in the liver to detoxify harmful molecules
- Glucosinolates found in kale form isothiocyanates which regulate detox activities in our cells
- One of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruit
- Good source of Vitamin C
- antioxidant and antibiotic
If you try this let me know what you think. My boyfriend said it tasted like a garden, but he continued to drink it, so I guess that wasn’t a bad thing. I think it tastes really good and will make you feel good as well. Thanks for reading!
Bows and Arrows,