I made cupcakes this weekend and in the middle of baking them, I realized I didn’t have any frosting in my pantry, so I made some! This recipe is quick and easy and makes the kind of icing that you only need a thin layer of in order to satisfy your sweet tooth.
2 tbsp softened butter or margarine
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp milk
Food coloring, if desired
Time to make: under 20 minutes
Servings: Enough for 12 cupcakes
- Sift one cup of powdered sugar through a sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Add your softened butter or margarine, vanilla extract, and milk to bowl and mix together until blended. (You don’t need an actual mixer. I used a fork to mix mine.) It will be kind of runny, but don’t worry!
- With your sieve over your mixing bowl, slowly add in your other cup of powdered sugar, stopping after adding some so you can continue mixing. You may end up using a little more or a little less powdered sugar in order to get the desired consistency you want.
- Add your food coloring to your mixture and blend in until the color you want is achieved. (For my color, I used 4 drops of blue and 2 drops of green.)
- Let icing sit for about 10 minutes at room temperature in bowl before putting onto your cupcakes/cake/cookies, etc. so it can start to stiffen up a bit.
- You’re now good to go! Icing away all those pastries!! Remember you’ll only need a thin layer, and it does start to keep it’s form once placed!
Bows and Arrows,